Did You Know:
“Massaging” the kale is a fast way to make this tougher green more tender.
Letting the kale salad marinate for thirty minutes in the lemon juice-based dressing helps to soften the tougher leaves in the same way that steaming or sautéing does. It’s like cooking without the heat!
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 large (or 2 small) avocados, sliced OR 1/4 cup of hummus
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 purple onion, diced
- 3 mandarin oranges, peeled and divided into segments
- salt to taste
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 2 small or medium bowls
- Knife + Cutting board
- Mixing spoon
- Remove stems from kale, and chop the leaves. Toss leaves in a large bowl with the avocado or hummus, lemon juice, salt, and red chili flakes.
- Mash and massage the avocado (or hummus) into the kale with your hands until it is spread evenly like a dressing throughout the kale.
- Stir in the red bell pepper, carrot, purple onion, and mandarin orange segments.
- If you can, let the salad sit for 30 minutes before serving. If not, dive in!