This recipe is a FEAST favorite! A creamy, flavorful, and comforting soup that can be served hot or cold.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, chopped (about 2.5 cups)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 3 cups (or more) canned low-salt vegetable broth
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion; sauté until onion begins to soften but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add cumin and crushed red pepper; sauté 30 seconds longer. Add the broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until vegetables are very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and heat until just warm.
- Puree soup in blender until smooth.
- Serve the soup warm, or chill it for at least 4 hours, or overnight and enjoy cold.
- Before serving: Stir lime juice into soup. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro and lime peel.