Half a cup of garbanzo beans has more protein than an egg (7 grams), and over 6 grams of fiber! A hummus sandwich on whole wheat bread is less expensive than a processed turkey sandwich, it has more nutrients, and it will keep you full all afternoon!
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread (3g or more fiber per serving!)
- 1/2 cup of homemade or low-sodium hummus (click here for our homemade hummus recipe, it's super easy!)
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach, arugula, or romaine lettuce
- Shredded carrots, tomatoes, and any other vegetables you like
- 1 avocado, sliced or mashed
- Cilantro, parsley, or other fresh herbs of choice
- Toast the bread.
- Top four pieces of toast with two tablespoons of hummus each, then layer with vegetables of choice.
- Add hot sauce or herbs to taste.
- Top each sandwich with another piece of toast. Enjoy!